• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Dosing Vacyclovir - 500mg 2x/day or 1g 1x/day? (also, can these be crushed?)

Hi Team!

Wanting to see if anyone here has an answer...or an opinion!

I have been prescribed 500mg Vacylovir for suppression, which I took for a few weeks following my primary but had at least 1 constant blister, one after the other. August was rough with recurrent tonsillitis, which required constant antibiotics and steriods, and I had work and travel. So, I doubled up on the 500mg to twice a day, which seems to have been working (with small exceptions that healed well).

My doctor just prescribed me 1g of Vacylovir. My question is, is it okay to take the 1 gram a day, or is it better to get the even coverage every 12 hours (meaning, ask that my doctor give me 500mg twice a day?). I do realize that these dosings are done by professionals, but we allllll know that we're the real experts when it comes to what really works ;)

ALSO - I'm going to have to have a tonsillectomy I think - and the 1g are horse pills. Does anyone know if these can be crushed and/or diluted in some water?

Thank you!!

Most say to take 500mg twice daily. So your body has a steady dose of antivirals. I believe being prescribed 1000 mg is good. Cost effective when cut in half. Won't run short if doubled up when outbreak or a trigger. Your surgery might trigger an on, so might want to double up. Im horrible at taking the dose 12 hours apart. Either forget, too far apart or too close. You will know what's best for your body.

@NothingGoodGetsAway my infectious disease doctor told me that the studies on 500mg vs 1g daily suppressive therapy show the benefit of 500mg to be equally effective. He suggested that taking more wasn't better in most cases with the exception of increasing the dose when you feel an OB coming on. As far as your maintenance dose, 500mg should be enough. For me, I had regular OB'S for many many years regardless of my lifestyle. Now that I am on suppressive treatment I get virtually zero OB'S. ... it has been a game changer. 500mg is all I take daily and it works like a charm

I've been prescribed 1g x day, but I'm still dealing with the primary outbreak (6 mos on). I've tried taking the whole pill once a day in the morning and also 500mg morning and after dinner. Twice a day is a little more inconvenient but it seems to spread the antiviral coverage a lot better.