• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Poll for users on Suppressive Therapy

Hi,

I was just wondering about the users on this forum who are on suppressive therapy to see how much everyone is on, etc.

I looked in the search bar but In didn't come with much.

Soooo, question time:

How long have you been diagnosed?

What suppressive are you on?

How much do you take and what frequency?

Do you still get outbreaks?

I was diagnosed in September 2015, it was my PO.

I take 1/2 of 400mg Aciclovir Sandoz per day.

I started suppressive therapy late December and I had my first OB last week after a rampant weekend with the Bf and recovering from the flu.

Hey!

I take 400mg of Acyclovir twice daily to cut down on viral shedding to protect my girlfriend, who doesn't have herpes. When I first got herpes about a decade ago, the outbreaks were more common (every few months), but over time they've chilled out to one or two per year. No telling if that's because of my immune system getting better control of da herps or the suppressive meds, but it's probably a mixture of the two. :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Diagnosed last January with first ob and blood work, value of 6. Had two small outbreaks before June because I was not on daily valtrex. Doctor would only prescribe enough for outbreaks. A way to charge for office visits. Switched doctors been on daily meds since with no outbreaks. I take the 500mg of valtrex only to prevent partner from getting. I prefer not to take.

Was diagnosed about 5 - 6 years ago. Started out on Acyclovir then switched to valtrex 500 mg. a few years ago, take it daily. It has been almost 2 years since an oral outbreak. Here where I live there is a H- support group that meets once a month which has been in existence since about 1984. The 2 main people that facilitate the meeting, has been positive for about 35 years, has never take meds and has not had an outbreak in about 15 years, and to his knowledge has never passed it to someone else. And the other about 25 years the one only takes meds on the cusp of prodrome. That is encouraging,