• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

in this together

Well it's been 7 months into this journey with H. I thought I was alone at first. Then I stumbled upon this site and realized I was so not alone in this. 7 months in and happy to say I've found a way to live fully to live again. While I still have my ups and downs I feel so resilient. However, the unthinkable happened recently. A close friend of mine confessed to me that she thought she had Herpes too. My heart ached for her. I felt bad too because I had become a little jealous of her singledom and her ability to have fun and date and hook up. I never thought in a million years she would be in the same boat with me. I never wanted this for her. Yet here we are. Confirmed yesterday she indeed did contract HSV2. The amazing thing about this was that I was able to be there for her and give her some good info. I was able to turn her to this amazing website. It's amazing that I am strong enough now that I can be her rock like she was for me. She had forgotten all the wonderful things she told me in the beginning. She is one of a handful of amazing friends I disclosed to. She also accepted me and encouraged me through this time. I might have always wanted a partner in this but I never wanted to see someone else suffer like this. I know she will get through it just like I did and am.

Thank you all of you especially Adrial for this lovely place to be able to dialogue and be open and share good info. Thank you so much. I am going to the doctor tomorrow for a check up and I will be dropping those new info forms you created. I am going to plaster them everywhere I can. People need to know. It's ok. And people need to be educated!!

This is beautiful. And it speaks to the natural cycle that seems to happen when we go from shame to breaking through to self-acceptance where the shame no longer has the same power over us any more. There's a natural tendency that I've seen (and experienced myself) to be inspired to help others who are now suffering with herpes. It's part of the healing cycle for us all. It continues to be healing for me to help support all of you here and put on these weekend seminars (shameless plug: July 12-14 in NC ... all details http://thehopp.com ) ;)

I'm so glad you're also inspired to plaster the handouts all over the place. Yes, knowledge needs to be spread instead of herpes! ;) Be contagious in a good way: spread knowledge, love, acceptance. Here's a poster I developed that I'd like to spread, too:

http://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/be-contagious-herpes-opportunity.pdf

And for everyone wondering what info forms domh is talking about, here they are:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Adrial I'm so stoked my doctor and his nurse were asking me questions about herpes more his nurse anyways they totally took the handouts and posters and were so happy to have that info to share with people. They were excited about the opportunity and happy for me. I felt so good today. This was huge today!!!

Ah, sooooo awesome! Thank you for being contagious in a GOOD way! You rock, sista.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• 3 weeks later...

I wish my doctor had had those handouts. This makes me wonder if they were asking questions because they don't possess the knowledge??? Or were they questioning about the handouts & where you had acquired them? I had thought my doctor didn't counsel me well because she was short on time not because she didn't know that much about it. If it was because of lack of knowledge that is scary to me because they should be the ones giving the knowledge out. Things that make me go hmmmmm.......

Renee I think it's a little of both which is so scary. We are kind of on our own in navigating this which sucks because even though it's not terminal it is important and it is life changing. There needs to be more info given to the world especially the medical world at large.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved this thread! That's so great about the handouts :)

When I was first diagnosed, I went to a walk in clinic near my school. The doc called me a few days later with the results. She basically said 'Its hsv-1. This is the better of the two. There ya go. Bye' I couldn't believe that she didn't inform me at all. I then went to my campus clinic to get more info..they weren't very helpful either. Just recently, I went to my primary doc and she was great! She answered all my questions and looked up the ones she wasn't sure of. I think it's horrible that there are docs out there like the first two I saw. It was so hard learning about my diagnosis and knowing hardly anything about it. Docs should encourage people to join a support group..I am so grateful that I found the HOpp when I did. It is just the coolest and very inspiring. Thanks Adrial :)

I would encourage everyone to take these handouts to their doctor's office. I took a few to my gynecologist. I gave them Adrial's email for information about how to obtain more than those few. I hope at some point those materials can support this site, but for now, letting them know..."Hey, I found this website really helpful and they had these handouts that are something I could have really used when I was diagnosed. Would you be willing to share this information with newly diagnosed patients? I think it would bring a lot of comfort and hope."

This is most everyone's experience at the doctor and we can change it one person at a time.

much love,

Kristin