• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Is the Western Blot legit?

Need everyone’s opinion: 

So here’s my story -

i was diagnosed with hsv2 through routine bloodwork in 12/2018 with an igg of 1.79. I went on to get another igg drawn several weeks later where the igg was 1.36. (Last time I tested negative for hsv2 was 9/2015 by the way.) My gyno insisted I have hsv2, but with no symptoms and my partners being negative I was not convinced. Well, I just received my WB results this week and I am negative for Hsv1 & Hsv2. I went back to my gyno so she could see/review the results and she is STILL insisting I have hsv2 and she also stated she has no clue what this WB test from the U of W is? I’m really sad because her response is making me second guess my results and honestly makes me look a little crazy in her eyes.  I have asked Terri Warren/Westover Heights, whom I got the WB with, for a letter stating that this result is legimate but she hasn’t returned my email in about 5 days so this is also making me extremely nervous and confused. Not many doctors seem to believe this test is real? Or they don’t know about it? Why? I have an appointment with a dermatologist and ID doctor coming up soon so hopefully I can get more answers, but I want to know everyone else’s opinion on here?  I’m so confused. 

Your doctor is a twit if they don't know what the Western Blot is. Every study about testing for HSV 1 & 2 compares everything against the Western Blot because it is considered the GOLD STANDARD in testing because it has scientists actually looking at the samples under microscopes...not just one scientist...three scientists (I think...maybe four?).

If the Western Blot says you do NOT have HSV, then you do NOT have it.

Your doctor needs to do some research.

Yes, western blot is the gold standard of herpes tests. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

From their website:

Tests for HSV antibodies may also be available through your local healthcare provider. You can have your blood tested with a Western Blot at the University of Washington Virology Lab. To do this, you or your health care provider can call 206-520-4600 to request the HSV Type-Specific Serology information packet.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: