• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Should I get tested?

Back in October, I had unprotected sex with a friend of mine twice (it was dumb, I know, and alcohol induced). Anyway, halfway into our second encounter she casually mentioned she had herpes and that I can't get it if she's not having an outbreak, which needless to say killed the mood.

I later confronted her about it, but she swears up and down she doesn't have herpes and doesn't know why she would have said she said. She claims she doesn't remember anything, and blames it on the mix between her alcohol and her meds, but I don't really believe that.

Since then, I've been freaking out, to put it mildly. I already suffer from anxiety and am an avid worrier, and this has added to it tenfold.

I've gotten all the normal STD tests done, sans a herpes test, and they're all negative. My doctor did a visual and said he didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and doesn't think I need to get a herpes test without symptoms.

It's true that I haven't seen any blisters (I've checked at least five times every day since), but I'm still worried. I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I swear I "feel" like I have herpes. I've had nights where I've woken up with a slight discomfort, sometimes my penis head feels itchy and I have felt a numbness/tingling in my right leg/foot.

I found a place near me that will do an Elise HSV2 test for pretty cheap, but then I've read that I really shouldn't have the test done without visible symptoms, as this could cause me more anxiety should it come back positive.

I honestly don't know what to do.

Should I get tested without symptoms? Is it worth it? Or should I just do nothing until I have visible symptoms???

Thank you 🙂

Why not ? If youre anything like me youre just going to keep wondering if you have it . If its not gonna burn a hole in your wallet might as well be safe and get tested just to have peace of mind . yea you guys were careless but thats fine, the fact that your partner didnt say anything prior to or after the first time stinks though

Thank you all for the responses.

I did go get tested for both HSV1 and HSV2. Got the phone call about an hour ago that it came back negative for HSV2 and positive for HSV1. I have to wait until after work to pick up the results, but I'm unsure as to how to feel.

On one hand, I'm relieved I don't have HSV2. But, on the other, I do have HSV1. And as, to my knowledge, I've never had a visible outbreak, so I don't know where.

So what now? Do I just start telling people I have herpes? (Sorry if that's a dumb question.)