• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Giving birth with herpes (HSV-2)

Me - but only because the (&^%#$&* doctor scared me into it - at the time (1986) Acyclovir was just coming out (but I didn't know about it) and I was living in the UK. I was assigned to an OBGYN by my family Dr in a nearby hospital whose theory was that you HAD to have a 'section if you were H positive. That was my first experience of the H stigma. I went through it because I didn't know better but I felt something wasn't right so afterwards I researched (not easy in the times before the internet!) and found out I could have had a natural birth because I wasn't having an OB.

I had to pitch a fit with the Family Dr to get reassigned to a different Dr (yeah - that's one of the things they don't tell you about a National Health Service - you don't have much choice in who you go to). The second guy finishes my first exam and says "Shame a strapping great lass like you having a Cesarean the first time around!" Uh - yeah - I admit it, I have breeders hips :p . Anyway, I managed to have a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) for the second. Never was offered acyclovir by either even tho it was being used in some areas then.

Nowadays they generally put women right on the Acyclovir for the last month of pregnancy to prevent the OB's so they can have a normal delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

@aikea I'm really glad to hear you had a drug free natural birth. I don't have children (hopefully one day) but always said I wanted to try a natural birth. It was so depressing when I got diagnose with HSV2 thinking I wouldn't be able to experience a natural or vaginal birth out of fear that I would pass it on.

Bookworm...

Having had a cesarean and a natural birth, I'll tell you... if you hate pain, go for vaginal birth... honest!

1) If you don't use ANY meds, you will, on average, have to endure the increasing discomfort and then pain for maybe 12-24 hrs. Remember with a Cesarean you have had your stomach muscles and your uterus cut open. You have a lot of soft, flabby skin that pulls on the stitches. It took me about 10 days to feel like a human again after my 'section. It took me about 24 hrs after the natural birth.

2) Much as I HATE the trend, there are epidurals for the pain-phobic. Personally, I feel it's a cop-out for many.... IMO, as a woman, we are MUCH stronger than we realize and this is one place you can prove that strength to yourself. Going through labor is almost a rite of passage ... it makes you appreciate your strength and all of a sudden it's over and you have this wonderful being placed in your arms and the labor connects you in a different way (not necessarily better).

So think carefully before you opt automatically for a Cesarean. It's not all it cut out to be... so to speak :p

Did it take you 24 hours or years? Lol. :D

I'm still thinking about it. IF I ever get to have kids of my own, which I'm currently questioning :/ I'll probably decide at the last minute. I'm more worried about my baby possibly getting something (even with the meds it's not 100% sure it won't happen and my odds are awful haha) than the pain of my own.

Maybe we are backwards in NZ as noone suggested I take anything the last two months.

Although with my second it was the middle of summer and i was 9 months pregnant. I started getting contractions and then noticed that I had a heat rash. I was absolutely terrified that it was herpes and I think this caused my contractions to stop. They began again the next morning once I was calm and had realised it was just a heat rash.

I'm sure I read somewhere its most dangerous if its your first outbreak when you are pregnant.