• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! Second herpes outbreak is severe!

This is my second outbreak and I've been prescribed valtrex, but today when I looked in the mirror it looks like my skin down there is eroding away like I have maybe dime sized sores and it looks like the skin by my vaginal opening has been ripped. is this a very severe case or what? I'm freaking out!

Hi jsmith,

I'm sorry the outbreak is so aggravating for you. Sounds painful! Herpes outbreaks for the first 6 months to a year tend to be the most severe they will ever be as your body is building up antibodies to help with future outbreaks. So know that your outbreaks won't always be like this. They will most likely settle down with time if you have a healthy immune system.

If you're worried about it at all, please do go see your doctor as we can't give you any medical advice on here. Make sure you keep the area clean, washed and as dry as possible (which I get as a woman isn't as easy as it may sound). And aside from keeping the physical area healthy, make sure you are feeding yourself healthily and not stressing yourself out too much. Not taking care of your body and mind tends to create the perfect habitat for herpes to thrive. (Great excuse to be more and more holistically healthy!)

Here are a few discussions that cover keeping the area healthy and healing:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1624/herpes-medication-genital-hsv-1-how-to-keep-herpes-outbreaks-clean-dry/p1

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2096/question-for-the-guys-or-women-with-herpily-endowed-partners/p1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hello!!

I just got over my first outbreak, which I wouldn't consider to be anything extreme but it was still uncomfortable as all hell. A few things that helped me: Epsom salt baths, seriously helped to dry out the sores. Like many people post on here, I got into the tub and then poured the salt directly between my legs. Didn't burn, and I swear they started drying up right away. Going commando, the air flow helped to keep everything dry and help to further dry up the sores. Wiping with unscented baby wipes, I don't know if this did anything to help heal things but it helped to sooth and keep my lady parts clean. I was also given Valtrex about a 3 days after I noticed the first sore and I think the early detection helped the meds work faster. Sleep it also huge, your body repairs itself during sleep, and ultimately that's what it needs to be doing right now. And, with anything in life, WATER. It will help your body flush out the attack going on right now.

Hi jsmith,

I'm so sorry. That sounds awfully painful. My first and second were excruciating as well, I understand. Adrial is so right - keeping your stress level is vitally important. Meditating, yoga for relaxation, or just breathing deeply with some calming music can help. I know that can be difficult when simply urinating is like razors and every motion reminds you of what is going on down there. I took a cup of warm Epsom salt water and poured it over when I had to go. It helped tremendously. Also, warm used tea bags (and drink the tea - green, white or echinacea - the antioxidants will fortify your immune system and just the act of drinking a cup of tea can be calming) applied is a lifesaver. Tea tree oil will help dry and heal, and you can find that at any pharmacy.

Check out some of the videos from this blog - there are some genius veterans on here with practical advice that will absolutely help. Just to see them smile and talk about it at the same time helps.

You are strong - you can do this!

Be strong, be well,

~valkyrie

Hi jsmith. I'm recently diagnosed as of 2 weeks ago and just had my first OB, which was the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my 22 years. I know I'm a rookie but I was also very scared during that time because I feared and suspected I had herpes but didn't have a medical diagnosis.

- What I did was I wore a night gown/bathrobe with no underwear to air it all out. The Dr. I saw said it was a good practice to wear underwear, so after he said that I bought big, old, baggy granny panties and I rocked those until I started clearing up. Not very sexy but hey neither is the OB so i'll take the granny panties!

- Took epsom salt baths throughout the day, which I'm sure you have done and know it's very relieving.

- (I read about this online) Every time I peed I poured a glass of water on myself down there to ease the burn. If you hit the right spot you can barely feel it. Ask your Dr. about that and if it's recommended, I'm meaning to do the same.

- I didn't eat much because I had sores on my butt and was afraid to go to the bathroom. However, I'm a nutritionist and that isn't recommended! So I didn't eat my normal calories everything I did eat was of nutritional value. I also drank stool softeners 2-3 times a day.

- When I finally got diagnosed in the ER (because my gynecologist was neglectful to me) I told the hospital dr. I've never been in so much pain and I was afraid to eat and drink and I asked if I could get painkillers. He prescribed them to me for about 2 days which gave time for the medicine to kick in and I was no longer in pain. That was my biggest help, and that truly is was let me see light at the end of the tunnel.

My first OB was so bad, I hope it really can't get worse than that. It was very difficult for me to sleep that every position I stood, sat, and laid down in was excruciating pain. You claim yours is severe too, so I would ask your Dr. about my points and hopefully he will hook you up with some meds. I hope you feel better!

The Dr. I saw said it was a good practice to wear underwear, so after he said that I bought big, old, baggy granny panties and I rocked those until I started clearing up. Not very sexy but hey neither is the OB so i'll take the granny panties!

I LOVE this! Tho I don't agree with the Dr about going commando. Honey, we were born that way and the only reason we cover everything up is thanks to the Puritans and Religion (ALL kinds) in general. Bacteria, viruses, and yeast LOVE lovely warm, moist environments so anything you can do to create a dry environment down there will make it harder for them to take hold and cause problems. I probably go commando at least half of the day - mostly at home - often if I have sweat or yoga pants on I won't wear anything under them ...and since I started doing that a rarely get an OB down there. The granny panties tho ... I know what you were meaning but I'm envisaging the horribly baggie pants that my mother used to wear :-O

And as someone who had an Ectopic pregnancy and had my back go out completely (as in, drop to the floor and barely can crawl into bed ... nearly threw up from the pain) I'll take Herpes any day. I know it's the worst pain you have ever had...but believe me, there IS worse pain out there... I just hope this is the worst thing you ever experience!!!!

(((HUGS)))

I agree with the commando thing. I took an Epsom salt bath and went commando overnight and my sores had started drying up right away. I have to wear dress pants to work and going sans panties is not an option in pants like that so I wore the thinnest COTTON underwear I could find. Don't wear any underwear that's not 100% cotton if you're having an outbreak. It's breathable and you're less likely to stick to it- gross visual I know, but it happens.