• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Fear and Power

A quote from Harry Potter. "Fear in a name only increases fear in the thing itself" -

If we could all take a step back, and look at ourselves, who we are, what we have made of ourselves.. are we really that feared?

is it wrong to laugh in the face of danger?

Is it wrong to cry in the face of happiness?

No. It is human. And we have a right to feel whatever we will, but only when there is good reason to do so. (meaning feeling for ourselves, not feeling because something/someone tells us what to feel)

I am no racist. I have no judgement to others.

but i will admit to making jokes on racial grounds, and sterotypes.

it is not ever meant in harm. It is always meant for laughter. i have friends of different culture, and races and they make caucasion jokes too.

do people ever laugh anymore? What happend?

One of the first things my girlfriends and i did when i found out i had herpes was google herpes jokes.

some were crude, but most were just plain histerical! I laughed so hard at some of the jokes. It was such a good feeling to release a good laugh instead of crying "my life is over". I was sick of crying.

I make jokes all the time about myself having I.B.S. (irritable bowel syndrom)

And what do i get in return fot it?.... laughter!

I make jokes about myself having celiac disease. "Look! This gluten free freak food looks just like real people food!"

Im not ignoring the fact that i have problems, im acknoldging my problems with power.

No, the world around me doesnt need to know all what im going thru, but if i hide in the shadows of fear, the people around me will have control of me. Knowingly or not. How can i live like that?

How can WE live like that?

Im not saying go make a joke about herpes. But dont let the fear of herpes ruin a moment.

as @WCSDancer2010 had said in another post about herpes jokes... "" As long as you "go along" with the jokes, you are not being your authentic self ... and will feel "dirty" because you are then going along with the stigma.

I think you can actually come up with something that you can say that won't "out" you but that you can use to educate people with. Something like "Well, when I got back int he dating scene I did some homework to learn about my STD risks and the truth about Herpes is ... " and then explain the reality. You may actually educate someone and they may thank you later. ""

In school we are taught that knowledge is power.

and they were right. WE have the power. We can make a change together. Kill the stigma.

I go by the alias "Willow" and i have herpes. Not "h".

I have power. Do you?

XOX

Beautiful post - I know this will help a lot of people...

I am WCSwingdancer and I have Herpes, H, and whatever else you want to call it .... I'm OUT and PROUD! Love me as I am or walk the other way.... cause I can't change it but there's a whole lotta other great things about me ... so there!!!!!

• 2 months later...

@Willow, I feel deeply connected to you for several reasons: you must love Harry Potter as much as I to quote him lol, I also have Celiac disease & terrible IBS, as well as the herp!! It's very rare to find someone as equally fucked up as me lmao & I mean that in a good way!! ;)