• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Your Cycle? Herpes outbreaks during your period?

JC81

Hi JC I wondered about this too. I have yet to see any difference in ob with my period I have stopped using tampons. I was told I could keep using them or pads no difference. But I chose to stay with pads also because I had a bacterial infection with my ob so that's what I decided. Everyone is different.

hi,

yeas i do have 4-5before my period and the another one in between, this is the first time in 12 month i didnt got it......but period influence herpes a lot .i feel screetchy before my period always.the hormons influence this viruy a lot.well sure it depence on the person

• 2 weeks later...

I started itching while exercising (during my period) and had 4 sores right near the bikini line on my butt and another sore near the vaginal opening. Thanks goodness for medication! I wouldn't be able to go anywhere under that condition of so many on my butt. ahh!

I have found the Valtrex helps not have the bump becomes a full blister.

I hope this doctor I'm going to see at the end of the month will give me Valtrex.

Do the other medications work just as well?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on suppressive therapy with the Alcyclovir (zovirax). And while it's the only antiviral I've used since being diagnosed, the only difference I know about is Zovirax is cheaper with my insurance.. It does what it's supposed to, no outbreaks since being on it consistently.

As to your original question before I started the suppressive therapy two months ago, I did notice a correlation between outbreaks and menstruation, though my doctor denies any relation between the two.

I have just gone on the same suppressive therapy too. In NZ Acyclovir is cheap - cost me $3 for two months...plus the doctor visit. I don't like taking medication for anything but want to see how it goes before I meet someone and have to take it. Have to say the worst thing is remembering to take it!

I can directly link my episodes with periods...I have only had two in the last year (yay for menopause!) and had a long episode the day after both of them. Doctors don't know everything and I think the best knowledge comes from our own experience and that of others who have H. :-)

During my first year months of contracting the virus, I got a yeast infect with every period. I went to the doctor to figure out if it was yeast or the herpes and it was yeast. Maybe a combination of both. I think the sores made me more prone to yeast infections. After the first year, I stopped having any symptoms during menstruation. For those of you who are still getting sores, are you recently diagnosed within the last 12 months?

I would have to say that any additional irritation or moisture leads to outbreaks for me. I had to stop wearing thongs because of the irritation. I personally use tampons because I don't want any more fluids on the surface to encourage an outbreak. Having both your period and an OB at the same time is absolutely horrible and I am doing my best to avoid any repeats in the future! I am also doing suppressive therapy, which seems to be helping immensely.