• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Besides herpes, what other STDs does the condom not fully protect?

I always thought condoms would protect me from stds. What a false sense of security. My worst nightmare came true when the word herpes bitch slapped my ears. Now, 10 months post first outbreak I wonder what other stds does the condom not fully protect me from?

Also, It's my understanding having HSV puts me at a higher risk for HIV. Does this only apply when having unprotected sex with an exposed lesion or can it happen with no lesion? I suffer from panic attacks so please don't scare me your answers. I fear HIV.

HPV.... Condoms provide some protection, but don't guarantee it.. I was able to protect myself from my ex husband who had genital warts on his penis where the condoms covered it and I never got it.

It doesn't matter about having a lesion or not, it actually has to do w the particular immune cell that fights herpes, which is CD8 and 4 I believe.. Well those immune cells are the ones HIV likes to hijack, so it gives an easier entry point for the HIV virus, because you have these immune cells that fights herpes there. We didn't have those until we got herpes in that region at least, that I know of.

I think biggest protection against STDs is knowing the stats. Specifically HSV vs HIV stats. I have to do more reaserch but I'm pretty sure that HIV is much more limited to certain types of groups of people (like homosexual men and certain people "of color") than HSV which is rampant amongst a lot of different races etc. It's not politically correct, but that's what my reaserch has shown. Maybe someone else can chime in here with some stats.

I think biggest protection against STDs is knowing the stats. Specifically HSV vs HIV stats. I have to do more reaserch but I'm pretty sure that HIV is much more limited to certain types of groups of people (like homosexual men and certain people "of color") than HSV which is rampant amongst a lot of different races etc. It's not politically correct, but that's what my reaserch has shown. Maybe someone else can chime in here with some stats.

@hippyherpy ....

While gays and blacks ARE more affected with HIV, if you go on any STD dating site there are PLENTY of white heterosexuals on there so don't let that "stat" lull you into a false sense of security. Just remember, the stats are higher for other ethnic groups, as well as women, to get Herpes than it is for men and YOU still got it ;)

@StillMeButWiser

So - here's the scoop:

Herpes is spread via SKIN to SKIN contact because it resides in the nerves.

HIV is spread through body fluids (blood and semen) which is why condoms afford a pretty reliable protection from HIV... short of a condom breaking or transfer of blood (say, both partners end up with some kind of break in the skin) condoms should afford reliable protection.

As mentioned, HPV can be spread with condoms. There are 40 types, only 2 make warts... men can't be tested so unfortunately according to the CDC ALL of us will get at least 2 type. That said, condoms should at least reduce the chance of getting a good dose right on the cervix which is where it causes so much havoc with us women, so it doesn't hurt to use them ... a few warts on the vajajay really are no big deal (been there, done that, froze them off and never saw them again!) .. it's the 4 types that cause cancer that we need to be concerned about. The rest just give you a damn good scare :)

Well i was going to comment but dancer said it all...i know from being in the medical field everything she is saying is correct...the problem i face with HSV2 is that even though we say it is "common"....we dont see it that much as the other stds, probably because it can lay dormant for a very long time on so many people and not cause any symptons...HSV2 is rarely discussed liked the other stds, which is disturbing because it is an incurable chronic lifelong std. Unless they see visible signs on exams, or the test is specifically asked for, they do not screen.