• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Transference-3 years later

Hey all,

Been a long time since I've been on here! I came back because I'd always meant to write out a few of my successful "disclosure" talks for people, and also because I've just had something confirmed that I find interesting (and annoying as hell).

I have genital HSV 1. I've always had outbreaks in the same one spot (inner vagina on the left). One time it was on the right, but that's it. I've had it for at least 3 years. I get outbreaks fairly frequently, unfortunately, but they are mild.

Last week I had a (very painful) new outbreak in my anal area. I went to the doctor and got it swabbed (and there were a few sores-not just one). I was pretty convinced it was going to be type 2 (because of how much more painful it was, and the fact that it was in a totally new area), but it turns out it's not. It's type 1, in a new spot.

SO, after 3 years, I have a brand new outbreak. I had had sex the week before (both anal and normal).

Just curious on anyone else's experiences around this. I had finally stopped feeling paranoid about transferring it around to myself, but it sure seems like this is what has happened.

(or, could it be a different strain of HSV 1 given to me by the guy I'm sleeping with?? I' mean, it doesn't matter, but it just seems weird)

First of all, welcome back (glad to hear you've had some much-earned time off from thinking too much about this and needing a consistent support group :) )

Hmm...I'm sure others will have a more expert opinion, but I just did a bunch of research on this since I shaved an OB in my anal region and then shaved my outer labia (my OBs to date have all been on inner labia/opening of vagina) and I am all like AH AUTOINOCULATION.

What I will say is, from my research, that the virus infects your nerve ganglion that serves up that "boxer shorts region." I found a neat little map that shows the specific nerve and the specific region it controls: http://projectaccept.org/all-about-herpes-human-dermatome-map/

Now, I wouldn't take this to the extreme and say "if I only have H on my lower back, I must never have it in my vagina!" BUT what it does show is that the vagina clearly shares the same nerve ganglion as the anus.

My primary OB (HSV-2) was both the lower part of my vagina and parts of my anal region, and i didn't have anal sex. So, taking that into account, it really was that point-of-entry nerve ganglion that really mattered. And the vaginal sores and anal sores came out at the exact same time, so it's not like I had a primary vaginal OB and then autoincoluated my anus. Nope, I'm just one of those lucky gals that get it everywhere, and (to date) you've been one of those lucky gals that gets it in a "known" location! We're all lucky!

So, I do NOT think that you reinfected yourself after 3 years. Think of folks on the boards that have had this for YEARS, dormant, and suddenly they have their first primary. So this is kind of the same thing for you. For some reason, your H "likes" the vagina. But perhaps the anal sex last week was too rough, not enough lube, you were slightly allergic to the condom, or the wind blew the wrong direction, and you had a big OB on your anus.

This is just my thoughts from my super recent research, but if anyone else can chime in, please do!!

This virus is super frustrating, but all we can do is try to do our best to keep it under control, and keep our minds from wandering.

H can breakout anywhere in the anogenital region where the sacral ganglia supplies sensory peripheral nerves.. I have broken out all over, including buttock, anus and recentlyrecently back of thigh close to buttock. It's not spreading, it can just chnage spots. I'd imagine the anal sex caused trauma, which H likes the path of least resistance, so I wouldn't be surprised that's what triggered the OB there for you. I used to just breakout on my vagina and a couple times on my anus the first few months after I got it. The last 6 months, I only breakout w red bumps on my buttock...

So, I do NOT think that you reinfected yourself after 3 years. Think of folks on the boards that have had this for YEARS, dormant, and suddenly they have their first primary. So this is kind of the same thing for you. For some reason, your H "likes" the vagina. But perhaps the anal sex last week was too rough, not enough lube, you were slightly allergic to the condom, or the wind blew the wrong direction, and you had a big OB on your anus.

The wind blew in the wrong direction! Yup! That's about right! Sometimes there is just plain no explanation for how H acts... but no, you won't autoinoculate after all this time. Once the antibodies are in place, you have "protection" from it being SPREAD ... but as mentioned, it can travel down the any of the nerves associated with the ganglion where it takes up residence..that dermatome map above is a good guide. Sound like you got it in the S2 or S3 sacral ganglion... which explains the "new" OB ...

I just find it SO weird. Like, after years of it being in one place, it's in another? And it seems to be back again already in the new place, which is also weird. Has anyone else found that a new place OB acts like as if it was a new infection and comes back more?

Anyway, I suppose it doesn't really matter, but it is lame that my original one very manageable and (all things considered) non annoying place, and now this one is much more annoying. Oh well.