• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes transmission through sharing a bath?

I googled it and some said yes some said no. I also asked my doctor and she said no. multiple times. before I got my dx I shared a bath with my son. I don't know if I was having symptoms or not. But now I'm concerned. can you pass it through the water? it's not like I rubbed my nether regions on him. But Google is saying there is a dilution factor. also my doctor said it passes through SKIN TO SKIN contact. please help!

No, you can't pass it through water. Skin-to-skin contact only with the infected area onto another person's mucous membrane or break in skin. Have you read the handouts yet?

http://herpeslife.com/resources/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I'm scared cuz I can't remember if I sat him on my lap or anything. I'm terrified. and when I googled diaper rash destin's website had pictures to compare to. But can a diaper rash cause little cuts by his rectum? And I did but I was pretty crazy when I read everything so I will re read

Were you having an active outbreak? If not, it's hard to pass via viral shedding unless there is the kind of skin-to-skin abrasion that comes with sex. I would keep an eye on it, but don't stress yourself out and see yourself as so contagious! It's actually pretty hard to pass to sexual partners, much less a child sitting in your lap for a moment! Be careful, but not paranoid. You're not as contagious as you might think. :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

thanks so much Adrial. you really help. But if it's so hard to pass how do so many of us have it? And I asked my doctor if I had to wash the tub out after every time I take a bath so my son doesn't catch it and she said no. she said once it dries it's dead. and I've seen here that once it hits the air it dies. she said the only way to pass it and that would still be a slim chance would be to rub an open sore on the bath somehow and for that person to immediately rub a cut on it. true?

Here are my answers to the questions you posed:

I believe so many of us have herpes (25+ million Americans aged 14-49) because of ignorance, denial and misinformation. If more people knew the symptoms and basic facts about the virus, it's fairly easy to protect sexual partners. It's only when people don't know that they inadvertently pass herpes. I know plenty of people (myself included) who have kept they're partners herpes free through condom use and/or suppressive therapy and knowing their prodrome symptoms. And per the handouts you've read (linked to above), you can see that the chances of transmitting herpes are minuscule.

And yes, the herpes virus dies once it's outside the body and touches air. I suppose if you somehow manage to get the liquid from inside a herpes sore and then put that on someone else's cut or mucous membrane, then yes, that would pass herpes to them since the virus is still protected from air. (You'd have to try pretty hard to get this to happen.) ;)

Does this help?

Helpful resources:

I hear you. The stigma will have us believe that we're a living contagion. ;) We're not. We just get the occasional skin rash. Why don't you go to the doctor and have that place swabbed to ease your mind?

Helpful resources:

Herpes outbreaks generally last a week or two until they're completely healed, so it doesn't sound like herpes to me, but keep an eye on it. Again, be cautious but not paranoid. :) Much love and enjoy your beautiful baby!

Helpful resources:

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I found this forum because one site I found basically said that if we have herpes we need to wipe the toliet afterwards so we don't spread it and that people can get it from using towels that others have used. Not gonna lie it freaked me out. Especially since they made it seem like we can't go swimming anymore since we can (according to them) spread the virus in the pool water. Even without an OB. Since I found out I had HSV 2 I have tried to keep my nephew from drinking after me (he thinks its funny to steal my food/drinks) because the other site made me super paranoid. Btw I only found the site because I was researching coconut oil and the mentioned using it to help minimize OBs.

I'm glad I found this forum because one site I found basically said that if we have herpes we need to wipe the toliet afterwards so we don't spread it and that people can get it from using towels that others have used. Not gonna lie it freaked me out. Especially since they made it seem like we can't go swimming anymore since we can (according to them) spread the virus in the pool water. Even without an OB. Since I found out I had HSV 2 I have tried to keep my nephew from drinking after me (he thinks its funny to steal my food/drinks) because the other site made me super paranoid. Btw I only found the site because I was researching coconut oil and the mentioned using it to help minimize OBs.

This is the perfect example of "be careful of your sources on the internet" :)

Where in the hell did you get all of this horrendously inaccurate info anyway?

Your nephew CAN'T get HSV2 from you from sharing drinks with you... it's on your GENITALS and it stays in the nerves in that area ... so you can relax there. Now, if you have "cold sores" (HSV1) then you need to be *cautious* but not paranoid. Don't share when you have any sores on the lips ... and yes, *try* to not share drinks and utensils but honestly, 60% of all young people get HSV1 orally from OTHER kids by the time they are young adults... so you can't totally protect him anyway ... I got it at age 4 ... and it's no big deal ...

You can check out my blog on this too for more info and clarity :)

http://supporttruthanddialog.com/toilets-towels-and-touching-oh-my/

• 2 weeks later...
Herpes outbreaks generally last a week or two until they're completely healed,

Hey! I actually have a question about the healing process. Wonder if you had some insight. I noticed my lesion on the 10th of June. As of the 25th of June it looked to be healed. I accidentally reopened a small portion of it on the 27th but it closed promptly. The skin has looked normal for at least a week now. But there is some tenderness where the lesion was. I tend to notice the tenderness after I've done something that may upset it. (The lesion is actually more of a cut. I thought I was just itchy from a yeast infection before my HSV-1 genital diagnosis and itched the area. Scrapping the spot with my nail :( ) The skin looks completely healed now. And if it were a cut from anything else I'd think the sensitive state was normal and a normal part of the healing process.....

If there is new skin present am I still shedding? Am I still contagious as long as there is occasional soreness present at the site?

Any help would be great! Thanks :)

Welll... yes and no..... sometimes the skin in that area just plain takes a long time to settle down after it's been under any kind of "assault" ;) . So that can make it tricky to figure out sometimes.

That said, my policy is when in doubt, freak it out! IE: find other ways to get yer freak on with your partner ... it can be a LOT of fun and you may learn all kinds of things about each other that you would never have learned if you weren't forced to try to play another way :)

• 3 years later...

@Briana No, just don't take a bath with your baby while you're having an active outbreak. Definitely read this article for more specifics: https://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes/

Helpful resources: