• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Ages?

Thanks Aries! Not exactly the social club I would have strived to be in! I was pretty shocked by my own diagnosis. Had no idea I had ever been exposed to HSV 2. I have struggled mostly with the dating aspect of having herpes. I have found that to be my biggest challenge. I was in a relationship when I found out I had it so it wasnt a big deal because my boyfriend wasn't phased by it. Since we have broken up it has been a bigger challenge. Gosh I wish the stigma around HSV would go away!!

@MilaR I'm feeling the same. I'm 34 and been single 8 years. I had sex last week with a new partner.. someone I really liked.. and now I get this. I'm truly heartbroken. Crying for days from both physical and emotional pain. I wish I could talk to the guy about this.. but no trust left.

Aries- Did you talk to the guy about it after you found out? Does he have HSV and not disclose? I know there are many people out there that have it but don't even know it. I get the sense he betrayed you based on how you are feeling. If that is the case I am so sorry. Everyone deserves honesty.

@Aries - I'm sorry you're going through this. I do think it could be worthwhile to speak with your guy with an open mind, assuming you were previously interested in continuing with him. Only 12% of people who have HSV2 have actually been diagnosed. The CDC and numerous herpes experts state that 80-90% of those with HSV2 are either asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild they go unnoticed or mistaken for a minor skin irritation, yet they are capable of transmitting HSV2 to partners. The odds are more likely your guy doesn't know he has it, though of course I don't know that for sure.

I contracted HSV2 sometime between the ages of 15 and 46 and didn't notice. At 47, I got tested for HSV1 and HSV2 (and other STIs) and the results came back positive for HSV2. I'd never had any incidents of partners having concerning symptoms after having sex with me (or at least nobody mentioned it, including a partner I had for 16 years), I didn't have a noticeable primary outbreak myself, and as you've probably learned by now, HSV is not typically included in standard STI testing. So I was among the majority of people with HSV2 for years or maybe even decades before learning I was HSV2+.

@optimist

I have been thinking of talking to him about it but I'm worried he'll try to turn it around on me and say I gave it to him and even more worried that he'll tell people I have it and rumors will spread about me in my small town. I'm in the throes of this now and feel so incredibly sick. I've been in bed most of the day. I have a child (luckily with his father today) and pets to care for so I have had to force myself to care for them these past few days but it hasn't been easy. I am so nauseous and just ate and now feel more sick. I also suffer from PCOS, diabetes, fibromyalgia. I can't believe I've added this to the list! Life has been hard enough and now it's even worse. I am glad I have people like you for support and a few select friends. I can't trust my family with this info. They would judge me and probably talk about me to others. I write this as I'm sitting in a cool baking soda bath trying to ease my burning vag! This sucks :(

I was diagnosed at age 42....my health care provider is one of the rare ones that actually DOES include it in an STD panel. But I acquired it 18-25 years earlier (sometime between losing my virginity and getting married, because both my ex-husband and the one partner I had since my divorce tested negative).

I tested positive at 37 and will be 39 in a few days. I have never had a genital OB. was in a relationship at the time of diagnosis but we've gotten really distant since. I haven't even thought about dating and the thought of disclosing scares me to death. I hope to find the right person eventually, someone that is accepting and won't judge me or care..but not quite open to the idea of even entertaining anyone yet.

• 3 weeks later...