• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

History of Herpes Stigma

I'm curious to know about how herpes stigma has evolved.

I've heard conflicting recollections and stories about how it's been perceived throughout the years, as well as differing explanations of the causes of varied perceptions on herpes.

We can use this thread to discuss the history of herpes stigma. I was recently diagnosed, and I don't know too much about it yet, so maybe the senior members here can fill in some of it.

This is part of what I had been looking for. No serious stigma until the 1980s:

1980’s

In the USA, prescription drugs can be advertised directly to the public. The Burroughs Wellcome advertising campaign was designed to stimulate demand for Zovirax by raising patients’ concerns about the social consequences and implications of infection and emphasizing that the drug could reduce outbreaks and transmission. The campaign appears to have successfully created the stigma which has clung to genital herpes ever since.

---

So all of here are living with the aftermath of a marketing decision.

This could be a good thing to talk about when you first meet someone.. the concept of marketing could lead to talking about stigma, and then to other stigmas, and you could throw in herpes stigma info in that discussion.

I'm guessing there's a 2.5% (heh) chance that anyone who doesn't have herpes will know how much of the stigma is due to marketing.

I think part of the reason why disclosure can seem daunting is because you probably have to explain a lot of this.. and it can be a lot to just drop on someone.

Maybe there's a way to test the waters with these kinds of talks.

Example I discussed in casual conversation about herpes in the last few months ths w two different friends who don't know I have it, nor would I ever say and you k ow what both came put of their mouths? Eew.... It doesn't even bother me or hurt my feelings. I completely reconize that this comes from a place of pure ignorance, along w an unnecessary stigma attached to it....

I have w a guy I was dating once, discussed how autoimmune diseases are being linked to some of the herpes viruses and then get to the genital herpes, w statistics and was asked very accusingly of I had herpes, because I was freaking him out.. Before that, I knew he wasn't soneone I wanted to date, but that comment just out the nails in the coffin for me..

Don't let that scare you though, because we've had people on here who was dating someone and they made a herpes joke or something, which made them believe they weren't accepting of it. Eventually they disclosed w a successful result and those people felt really bad and apologized. So again, don't let it scare you, because in the long run, do you even want to be w someone so narrow minded, that they can't even be open to learning about it and being objective about it? I know I don't, because that trait will most certainly manifest itself in other ways that are not pleasant in a relationship.

Ahh - the Time Magazine article! I have a copy, as well as one in Newsweek that year and Joe Graedon's "The New People's Pharmacy ... Drug Breakthroughs of the 80's" ... that little triad of readings explains it all.... I've had this since the late 70's and I remember the pre-stigma days.

Ella Dawsons's commentary on the Time Magazine article

https://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/6734/ella-dawson-does-it-again-time-magazine-ruined-herpes-journalism-here-s-how-to-fix-it#latest

As for all your efforts to come up with a segue, justifications, explanations, etc... as a WELL EXPERIENCED veteran of 35 yrs, I'd say remember the KISS effect: Keep It Simple Stupid.... long-assed explanations more people off. It sounds like you are trying to downplay it.

Simplest thing: Ask if they know what HSV/Herpes is. If they ever had cold sores or know someone who does. That you need to discuss something because you care about them and respect their right to CHOICE. That you have the equivalent of a cold sore down there and that you take meds and use condoms to get your risk down to around 1-2% per year ... that you have learned that most people who *think* they have been tested have not, so it get's passed on a LOT by people who honestly believe they are

"safe".... and that you would do everything you can to protect them.....

Then answer questions.

DON'T crack a joke about it. For one thing, as 2legit said, some people have cracked jokes and then been mortified that they might have hurt someone's feelings when they learned that their friend/potential lover had H... so their reaction to the joke isn't always a good indicator about how they will react to YOU having it.

AND... you never know if the other person has H and you can REALLY upset someone who has bought into the stigma and put their healing/emotional recovery right back....

Personally, *I* don't care about jokes either way, but I've seen the effect on the newly diagnosed ... so please, no jokes....