• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Itchy every day but no visible symptoms

Hi,

I'm wondering if HPV or herpes can cause my symptoms. I'm male and I'm itching quite badly in the entire genital region several times every day. This has been going on more than a year now. I thought it could also be yeast infection also but I tried one treatment and it had no effect. Doctor also gave me strong hydrocortisone lotion but it did not help either.

Could herpes cause this? I exercise and live quite healthy but I don't take any herpes medication.

AF

Have you not gotten yourself tested for both HSV 1 and 2? There is no telling, unless you have sires that can be swabbed or have a blood test done. Do you experience redness, tingling, sensitivity of anything else w it, like burning? Itching can be caused by a lot of things, including eczema and other skin disorders on the genitals. I have one myself that took place first over a decade ago.. Wat before I actually got herpes and itstalways in the same spot. I think mine is like w linchen sclerosis complex possibly.

No I haven't got an official diagnosis because it's hard to get the doctors to take blood test because they say that it won't tell you anything and they are not reliable. That's the opinion of doctors where I live. I've had two cuts on my penis which were probably from herpes but they both went away in a day before I could go to have them tested. I'm going to the clinic tomorrow and demanding a blood test and if they don't give it I'll just go to private clinic which is much more expensive but maybe worth it.

I don't experience any redness or any other visible symptoms. It just itches and I do have tingling kind of sensations sometimes but mostly it's just itchy.

I'm wondering, if it's herpes that is causing this does it mean that I'm shedding every day?

Omg. That is not true. You need to go see another doctor or better yet, go see planned parenthood and ask to be tested for herpes. So you've had fissures? Hmm.... Herpes can cause those symptoms yes. Typically, prodrome is supposed to mean we are shedding virus, but you're saying this everyday? You should also request antivirals in the meantime while waiting for your tests, to see if that helps.

SMH ... some days I want to go postal on some Dr's and Clinics...

Planned Parenthood is your best bet ..... and if your local one won't work with you, then perhaps Westover Heights Clinic's Western Blot test would be the answer ... simply because they will work with you over the phone....

,http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678 ... they can order the test for you through Quest Labs. It costs $5/minute for a consult … cheap IMO for clarity and/or peace of mind.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'm back to this topic after 3+ years. Hope you all are doing well 🙂

I'm still itching and have pins and needles kinda feeling daily and the intensity has increased in the last year so I'm trying to get new ideas how to overcome this issue. I kinda learned to live with the daily symptoms but I feel that I can never be ok with this issue psychologically if I don't get it under control. It works a trigger for bad mood and depressive feelings so coping with herpes would be much easier without a daily reminder.

I did eventually take the blood test which showed that I'm HSV-1 positive & HSV-2 negative but as I've had cold sores as long as I can remember it does not really confirm if I have genital herpes or not. I've diagnosed myself to have HSV-1 genitally because the initial symptoms with high fever and cut/broken blister on my penis doesn't really point to anything else either. Also a girl who I was with developed similar type of symptoms (fever and one blister/cut) but doctors were not able to tell with 100% certainty if it was herpes or not. She hasn't had any symptoms or itching problems after the initial "outbreak".

I actually might be dealing with two different issues here. The skin on my testicles and the base of my penis is itchy, and I can feel it on the skin, but the upper part of the shaft of my penis has these pins and needles feeling that feels more to be under the skin layer. And it's always in the same 3-4 spots. That makes me think that it is a nerve damage issue. A dermatologist suspected that the itching is chronic inflammation in the skin and gave me cream for that which did not help. Now I'm using a stronger cream to see if that helps.

So my questions are:

Has anyone experienced anything similar regarding daily itching or tingling?

If it's nerve damage/post herpetic neuraglia, any tips how to get it under control?

Here's what I've tried with no noticable effects:

- Moisturizer

- Fungal cream

- hydrocortisone

- Antibiotics (urologist suspected that it could be prostatitis)

- Inflammation reducing cream

- Acyclovir, for a couple of weeks only though

I appreciate all comments, thoughts and advice, thank you!

AF

• Like 1
7 hours ago, antifragile said:

I'm still itching and have pins and needles kinda feeling daily and the intensity has increased in the last year so I'm trying to get new ideas how to overcome this issue. I kinda learned to live with the daily symptoms but I feel that I can never be ok with this issue psychologically if I don't get it under control. It works a trigger for bad mood and depressive feelings so coping with herpes would be much easier without a daily reminder.

I did eventually take the blood test which showed that I'm HSV-1 positive & HSV-2 negative but as I've had cold sores as long as I can remember it does not really confirm if I have genital herpes or not. I've diagnosed myself to have HSV-1 genitally because the initial symptoms with high fever and cut/broken blister on my penis doesn't really point to anything else either. Also a girl who I was with developed similar type of symptoms (fever and one blister/cut) but doctors were not able to tell with 100% certainty if it was herpes or not. She hasn't had any symptoms or itching problems after the initial "outbreak".

I actually might be dealing with two different issues here. The skin on my testicles and the base of my penis is itchy, and I can feel it on the skin, but the upper part of the shaft of my penis has these pins and needles feeling that feels more to be under the skin layer. And it's always in the same 3-4 spots. That makes me think that it is a nerve damage issue. A dermatologist suspected that the itching is chronic inflammation in the skin and gave me cream for that which did not help. Now I'm using a stronger cream to see if that helps.

So my questions are:

If it's nerve damage/post herpetic neuraglia, any tips how to get it under control?

- Moisturizer

- Fungal cream

- hydrocortisone

AF

Interested to know about herpetic nerve pain. I got HSV1 gential get a lot of lower back  tailbone nerve pain.

No diagnosis of HSV yet, but was with a girl that said she might have it.

Daily itching above my penis and my groin. Red, itchy bumps show up for a couple hours or a day or two and then disappear. No matter what is showing down there, I can always feel something itching or tingling. My scrotum turned red, and the sides itch.

The skin around the entrance to my anus is red and itchy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 9:29 AM, antifragile said:

So my questions are:

- Moisturizer

- Fungal cream

- hydrocortisone

AF

I too had the high fever and cuts on penis. The skin of my testicles and base of penis is also red and itchy. The latter has been around for 6 months.  The girl I was seeing also developed a flu at the same time as me, but had itchy near the vagina. I'm not sure if she had cuts. Her symptoms are gone, but mine are still there.

No bloods tests or swabs have come back positive for me, but I think it's suspicious my symptoms match so many on here. Some are quick to tell me it's in my head or that I don't have herpes, but nobody can offer an alternative for the herpetic symptoms I've had for 6 months.

No creams have worked for me.

19 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

I too had the high fever and cuts on penis. The skin of my testicles and base of penis is also red and itchy. The latter has been around for 6 months.  The girl I was seeing also developed a flu at the same time as me, but had itchy near the vagina. I'm not sure if she had cuts. Her symptoms are gone, but mine are still there.

No bloods tests or swabs have come back positive for me, but I think it's suspicious my symptoms match so many on here. Some are quick to tell me it's in my head or that I don't have herpes, but nobody can offer an alternative for the herpetic symptoms I've had for 6 months.

No creams have worked for me.

Have your symptoms been consistent over the 12 months? I ask because herpes usually occurs in outbreaks. Having symptoms for 6 months straight is not normal. 

On 8/5/2015 at 2:08 PM, antifragile said:

Hi,

I'm wondering if HPV or herpes can cause my symptoms. I'm male and I'm itching quite badly in the entire genital region several times every day. This has been going on more than a year now. I thought it could also be yeast infection also but I tried one treatment and it had no effect. Doctor also gave me strong hydrocortisone lotion but it did not help either.

Could herpes cause this? I exercise and live quite healthy but I don't take any herpes medication.

AF

Sounds like jock itch. 

31 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Have your symptoms been consistent over the 12 months? I ask because herpes usually occurs in outbreaks. Having symptoms for 6 months straight is not normal. 

It depends on which part of my body you are referring to.

The mouth tingling is not constant, but the small cuts/constant chapped are.

The red bumps on my groin are daily.

The feeling of confusion and fatigue comes and goes.

The nerve pain comes and goes.

The anal itching is almost constant.

The cuts on penis was about a month long ordeal, and has not returned. However, the skin is still pink looking - almost like a scar.

The eye itching and pain has lasted about a week. I'm not sure if this another new symptom that will come and go.

1 minute ago, blurneworder said:

It depends on which part of my body you are referring to.

The mouth tingling is not constant, but the small cuts/constant chapped are.

The red bumps on my groin are daily.

The feeling of confusion and fatigue comes and goes.

The nerve pain comes and goes.

The anal itching is almost constant.

The eye itching and pain has lasted about a week. I'm not sure if this another new symptom that will come and go.

Sores should not be constant. There should be weeks/months at a time where you don't have symptoms. I've never heard of an O lasting half a year. What have doctors told you you might have? Have you ever been prescribed anything?

Doctors have said  - balanitis, "irritation," fordyce, "I don't know," stress, skin irritation that happens that I need to just deal with, possible ocular hepres,  heretic symptoms.

I've been prescribed Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide, Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate cream, Desonide 0.05, Nystatin (this was for a bacterial issue with my tongue, and it mostly went away), Blink tears, Refresh Liquigel, and Acyclovir (I refuse to take it until I am diagnosed. I don't want to unnecessarily take it or take it for a short time and then have symtpoms come back)

27 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Sores should not be constant. There should be weeks/months at a time where you don't have symptoms. I've never heard of an O lasting half a year. What have doctors told you you might have? Have you ever been prescribed anything?

I don't get the sores that people normally associate with herpes, but the red spots I get sure do itch and some are painful.